Friday, June 19, 2009

dog days



You’ve already been introduced to my dog, Miley. The other dog in this picture is Chamine, my daughter’s daughter. Yes, she calls her dog her daughter. I guess that makes her my grandchild. I was sort of hoping for my first grandchild to have a little hair, but really this is too much.


Wouldn’t it be nice to be a dog? I have sometimes wished that I was a dog. I mean here they are lounging their time away, not a care in the world, and I’m rushing about, doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms, making dinner, you know, the like.


Sometimes they look so downright bored, I suggest to them that they learn to read. I tell them that the world opens up to you when you can read. They stare at me blankly, heads cocking back and forth, waiting for a word like, "treat," "walk," "go," "car ride," or "hungry?" to come out of my mouth. Then I suggest they develop a talent like playing the piano, dancing the tango, or whistling through their noses. Nothing. In desperation, I suggest if neither of those two are really great options for them, maybe they could take up a hobby, such as knitting, photography, beekeeping. Still the blank stares, heads cocking back and forth, and waiting on edge for a wonderful magic word that means something to them.


Yes, it would be very nice to be a dog. Sometimes, I really think I’d like that, but then I remember if you’re a dog you can’t read. They can keep their dog days, and I’ll keep my books, cuz after all, words really are magic.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so my mothers daughter :) Reading is the best past time ever.