Friday, June 26, 2009

almost


My youngest daughter informed me that I can’t have just a Miley blog, that I have to blog about something else too. Sometimes our roles get confused. Sometimes she becomes the mother and I the daughter. She issues orders, and I call her Mommy and dutifully obey.

So since I have been commanded to blog about something besides Miley, I chose to blog about a very exciting event that is about to happen. This is my oldest daughter, who will soon give birth to my first grandchild. I guess that means this is my baby and my baby’s baby. This baby will be the first grandchild on both sides of the family. I’m thinking that this child will be royally spoiled. Just a guess.

And just for the record, we don’t know if it’s a girl or a boy. I know. I. Know. Shocking. Breathe. It will be okay. Aside from the fact that I’ve had to go into double-mania crocheting for both a pink baby and a blue baby, I think it’s been lots of fun, this guessing game, but it sure does put some people into cardiac arrest when they hear we don’t have any idea whether it’s a boy or a girl. Like I said, breathe.

Some people get all upset about becoming a grandparent. They think it makes them old. I think you make yourself old. Okay, I admit we do age, but we can be defiant about it. I’m all excited that I’m almost a grandma. I’m really excited that my daughter is almost a mommy too. She’s been a little mom since she was . . . well, about two. I remember a time when I went into the bathroom. (Bathroom breaks when there’s a two-year old and an infant in the house are precariously dangerous.) When I emerged, there was my little first-born packing around my infant. You see, the baby had been sitting in her carrier and started to cry. When first-born couldn’t comfort her, she picked her up and started to walk around with her like she’d seen mommy do — the only problem was that she had grabbed the wrong end, and the baby was dangling upsidedown in her motherly little toddler arms. My perma-mom daughter has been waiting a long time for this. She’s going to be one really awesome mommy, provided she figures out which end is up. I can’t wait to see that little infant in her arms. It will be a perfect picture.

My beautiful daughter is almost a mommy; I am almost a grandma; and today I managed to write a blog without Miley in it. Well . . . almost.
 

3 comments:

Shauntel said...

:)

I hope I figure out which end is up.

Hurry baby. Get here!

lichelle said...

I second that!!!

Unknown said...

There is a whole second baby that we don't know about hiding behind the first one. Hows that for a surprise?!?!