Saturday, July 11, 2009

grandkids are the greatest


I've always been told that grandkids are the greatest. You get to love them, spoil them, and then send them home with Mommy and Daddy. Let's discuss these two statements.

I agree with the first statement. Grandkids are the greatest. I have to admit, however, that I thought kids were pretty great too. My children are the light of my life. It was so great to spend time with my sweet little grandbaby. It almost felt like I'd had another baby. It was that same magical world to me. She is so small and helpless, so warm and cuddly. There's nothing quite like the feeling of holding an infant in your arms. I guess some mothers never get over the baby hungry thing. I'm one of those mothers. I spent time up with her during the night, shooing away that tired mommy so that she could rest. (And secretly just wishing to hog the baby.) A couple of nights were pretty much sleepless, as she was mixed up on her days and nights. As I held her during the night, I just gazed into that perfect little face, and once again in my magical world, I couldn't believe what a beautiful little miracle she was. I couldn't even be angry at her for stealing away my rest. In fact when she was peacefully sleeping, I still sat and held her, staring at her, unwilling to put her down in her bed, even though time was ticking away and sleep was being lost. Yup, I wholeheartedly agree that grandkids are the greatest.

Now on to the second statement. You get to love them, spoil them, and then send them home. Of course, I agree with the loving and spoiling, and I'll be ever so good at that. But sending them home? Why would I want to do that? When I left to return to my real life, that was just plain anguish. It's always been hard to leave my grown up children after a visit. It makes me sad they're not still in my house. If I could, I'd probably gather them all home, and freeze them at that wonderful stage where everyone was here, busy, fun, coming and going, and my friends, all my best friends. But I can't do that. They grew up, moved on, and now I have this beautiful little granddaughter. Leaving my daughter and my granddaughter was heartbreaking. So I have to say that I don't agree that it's so great to be able to send them home. I mean look at this beautiful baby. Why would I ever want to send her home?



But since I must go, one last hug and one last kiss. I'll see you soon, sweet girl.


5 comments:

Shauntel said...

You just wanted to make me cry again. We miss you. Hurry back.

:)

danielle said...

miler feels bad. there hasn't been anything about her in awhile

Riss said...

You know, Mom..... my offer still stands. If you want to pay for me to have a baby, you could have a grandkid in the same city....

lichelle said...

I bet if I wait long enough, I'll still get a grand kid in my city. :)

But I'll take your generous offer into consideration.

Unknown said...

Rissa wait it out! You know mom will totally pay up!