Saturday, September 12, 2009

living like a cavewoman


So, I find myself in a really weird world. For the past week or more, yeah pretty sure it's more, something like ten years it feels like, I haven't had the Internet at home. It's sort of like being a cavewoman really. So I run over to my cute daughter's house to use her Internet every couple of days and just do the bare minimum: check my emails, send an Amazon order off, look at my other cute daughter's blog. These things are important and essential. As it turns out, I'm not going to have the Internet for almost another couple of weeks. So I thought I'd just give you some random things to think about meanwhile.

Every day the average person swallows about a quart of snot.

A stalk of sugar cane can reach up to thirty feet.

The largest number of children born to one woman, a Russian peasant, is 69.

In a survey conducted in 2000 by Kimberly-Clark, it was found that men prefer to fold their toilet paper and women prefer to wad it. (Running my own survey of a total of four people, I found this survey to be accurate.)

An elephant cannot jump. (Playing basketball is out for them.)

The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com. (I checked it out. It's still there.)

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321.

A duck's quack does not echo. No one knows why.

The San Francisco cable cars are the only mobile national monuments.

A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first passengers in a hot air balloon. (Which do you suppose was the pilot?)

Barbie dolls in Japan and China have their lips closed with no teeth showing. American Barbies show teeth.

Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.

Pollsters say that 40% of dog and cat owners carry pictures of their pets in their wallets. (You may not believe it, but I am not included in that 40%. I will be remedying this shortly.)

Americans did not commonly use forks until after the civil war.

Pearls melt in vinegar.

The average four year old asks four hundred questions per day.

The sound of ET walking was created by someone squishing their hands in jello.

American novelist, Mark Twain, is the first known author to submit a typewritten manuscript. (Before typewriters, manuscripts were handwritten of course. Can you imagine?!)

Ever wonder why Hershey's kisses are called "kisses"? It's because the machine that creates them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.

An octopus has three hearts. (Just think what bypass surgery would be like.)

Frank Baum created the name of "Oz" in his story Wizard of Oz when he looked over at his file cabinet and saw the letters O-Z.

The right lung of a human being is larger than the left lung. This is because of the space that the heart takes.

A starfish can turn its stomach inside out. (This could be a useful dieting tool. I'd like to learn how.)

Ten percent of the population have outie belly buttons.

Pearls are rarely found in North American oysters.

The average weight of a new born baby is 7 lbs. 6 oz. For a triplet baby, it is 3 lbs. 12 oz.

The United States and France have the most pet dogs in the world. Approximately one out of every three families has a pet dog. Switzerland and Germany have the least pet dogs, having one dog per every ten families. (We help with the statistics by having two. We do what we can to make the world a better place.)

There are roughly 100 million single adults living in the USA.

More than 90% of shark victims survive. (But I'm thinking if you're in that 10%, that amounts to 100% to you. Thus, I pretty much stay out of oceans.)

On average a person has two million sweat glands. (Pretty sure I have more.)

The little circles of paper that are cut out after a paper has been punched are called "chad."

It's possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs. (However, if anyone ever tries, please call me. I'd like to be in the audience.)

Peaches were once known as Persian apples.

In 1998, a book called "Eat a Bug Cookbook" was published. If you don't believe me, go check it out for yourself:
Eat a Bug Cookbook

The biggest bug in the world is the Goliath Beetle which can weigh up to 3.5 ounces and be 4.5 inches long. Cook that up for dinner!

A person would have to drink more than 12 cups of hot cocoa to equal the amount of caffeine found in one cup of coffee.

In just one drop of water it is possible for 50 million bacteria to be present.

Armadillos have four babies at the same time, and they are always the same sex.

No word in the English language rhymes with the following words: orange, purple, silver, or month.

The first toilet stall in a public restroom is the least likely to be used, which means it is also the cleanest.

and last but not least:

There are some species of snailbugs that are venomous. Their venom can be fatal to humans. I am not one of those snailbugs.

3 comments:

Shauntel said...

Yes! I ALWAYS use the first stall!

Unknown said...

SIS!!! SO DO I!!! I noticed that it was against my instinct so I decided it must be a good idea.

Riss said...

I admit I never use the first stall... to be exact, the right lung has 3 lobes and the left lung has 2.