Tuesday, August 11, 2009

missing you


As you might have noted from my previous entry, my baby granddaughter and daughter came for a visit. Boy, life was different. My regular schedule and routine went straight out the window. But who cares?! Who needs a routine when you have a baby around? Or who can even manage to keep one for that matter? :) It was so wonderful to have them here.

The night before they left, my daughter let me have the night with my sweet granddaughter. It's an interesting little phenomenen really. I think she went to bed with a wicked grin, thinking, "Aha, tricked the grandma into staying up all night, and I get to sleep. Sucker, grandma!" And I went to bed thinking, "Aha, tricked the daughter into snatching a whole night from her and getting to hog the baby all I want! Sucker, daughter!"

Just about now you might be thinking I'm completely nutso, but it's the plain, silly truth. I just love nights with a baby. There's something so magical about it. First of all, there was no little vulture standing by waiting for a turn. And believe me, there are lots of baby vultures around here. She was mine, all mine for a whole night. I swaddled her up in her blanket, kissed her sweet, soft forehead, and watched as she searched for the bottle in hungry desperation. I got to hold her in my arms as long as I wanted to, listening to her little baby sounds of pure satisfaction as she gulped down her middle of the night feedings with eyes blissfully shut in half sleep. It was just plain a privilege to stare at her sweet little angelic face in the dim light. Then as I held her to my chest waiting for her not-so-ladylike burps, I cuddled her close, and wished for her to stay, but the dark of night slowly dawned into morning light. The magic was over, the sweet thing left, and now here I am, a grandma without a baby to cuddle. What am I to do?

Oh yeah, that stupid schedule and routine.

Missing you, sweet thing.



1 comment:

Shauntel said...

The sweet thing and her mommy miss you lots. Pretty sure you need to move to NC. And then to SLC when we do.

Seriously.